Sometimes there are moments when, despite what’s going on in our lives, we can choose joy. Sometimes, those same moments of joy only last for the few moments we are in them, but hopefully they are enough to get us through tough days ahead.
A couple of weeks ago, I was jumping for joy at the Wooden Shoe Tulip Fields in Woodburn, Oregon. We also did this two years ago when we went there, so we’ll call it a tradition to jump in the tulip fields now that we’ve done it more than once. The next day, however, I was feeling rather bummed out, but looking at all the photos of us jumping in the tulip fields made me smile and carry that memory of joy into another day.
Just before that trip, I’d been jumping for joy up by the Rock of Ages as noted in my last post. I’m honestly not jumping around every day of my life, nor am I saying you need to jump for joy every time your life isn’t going well, but there are other ways you can choose joy each day.
Here are 10 ways you can choose joy instead of despair in your life:
1. Watch a sunset. Enough said.
2. Turn on music that lifts you up and start dancing or singing to it. Yeah baby!
3. Go to a comedy club. I just finished taking an improv class that lifted my spirits every time I went.
4. Find three things you’re thankful for. No, they don’t have to be anything specific. Any three will do.
5. Take time to smell the flowers. Or photograph them. I like to do both.
6. Exercise – I know, it doesn’t seem like it will cheer you up, but it will get those endorphin’s flowing, believe me.
7. Take a walk. I like to bring my camera along on walks to take photos – unless I think I’m going to run, then just the phone will suffice.
8. Eat a special treat. Dark chocolate is always a plus in my book!
9. Take time to read a book and have a cup of tea or coffee. Transport yourself to another world. Try and jump in an stay there if it’s a good one.
10. Take time to talk to kids. Do you ever notice how uninhibited kids are? If you have some kids in your life you can talk to, do it. They’ll cheer you up in no time! I like to FaceTime with my nieces and nephew.
Or you can try jumping for joy. It’s quite fun. Unless you have a headache. 😥