So you’ve got your favorite sundress in the closet that you want to keep wearing as the weather gets colder. Now, how to make it warm enough to keep wearing in the winter and fall? This post is all about transitioning warm weather dresses into a cute & cozy cold weather outfit.
In this look, I took a sweater and layered it over top of a sundress. Then I added a belt to bring in the waist and make the dress look more like a skirt. Perfect fall / winter look with the jewel toned purple sweater and black and white striped dress.
Other ways you can winterize your summer sundresses would be to:
- Wear a blazer over top. You can add a coat over that if needed for going outside, or wear it with just the blazer if the weather is warm enough.
- Add turtleneck underneath. A mock turtleneck works to add warmth and would still look cute.
- Add a button up shirt. Depending on the style of dress, you could add a button up shirt underneath, or over the top, belted or unbelted to warm up the look.
- Accessorize! I just had knee high boots in this look, but if the temps drop lower, I would add tights, a scarf, gloves, a poncho, or even leggings underneath to keep warm. Earmuffs, anyone? And how about a muff? Those warm cylinder shaped things Victorian women stuffed their hands in to keep them warm. Yeah. I want one of those. Let’s bring muffs back!
- Add a cardigan. I am always wearing cardigans at work to keep warm. Because, yes, sometimes we are cold indoors in the winter. Then you can just layer your coat over the top when you go out.
- Add a skirt. Under or over. Another skirt layered over the top or underneath can add volume and warmth.
- Add a sweater. I already did that in this look, but another way to add a sweater is to wear it underneath the dress. This sweater would have worked good under as well as over because it isn’t too bulky. If the sweater is really bulky or chunky, wear it over the top.
How are you bringing your summer clothes into winter? Mostly I wear a tank top underneath my tops everyday to add another thin layer of warmth to my core.
To anyone praying for my friend who has leukemia; after three different types of chemo, one finally worked! Her blood count has now gone from 90% of cancer cells to less than 5%. However, she has treatment resistant cancer so will be needing the bone marrow transplant. Pray that she finds a donor match needed for this. Her siblings are testing for this right now.
Merry Christmas to everyone near and far.
Fear not, for 2020 is almost over…
(What? Is that not a traditional holiday greeting?)
*This post contains affiliate links. If you click through on them, I may receive a small drop of money, at no extra cost to you. Enough to keep a light bulb burning in my home. Thank you in advance for helping keep a light on in my home!
Shop the look here:
Click on any image above to shop the item directly
~ All photos were taken by Calvin Hodgson.